A general website doesn’t convert all the traffic that comes through it, if you are a Shopify store owner, Woocommerce, or anything else you are effect of the phenomena of Cart Abandonment.
What is cart abandonment?
“Abandonment is an ecommerce term used to describe a visitor on a web page who leaves that page before completing the desired action. Examples of abandonment include shopping cart abandonment, referring to visitors who add items to their online shopping cart, but exit without completing the purchase.”
It is frustrating because you like me, spend a lot of energy and time to get people to come to your site. Why do they leave then?
Obviously not everyone is finding what they are looking for, but let’s say that most of the people that come through your site are leads that are looking for that specific products and could be potential buyers, how is it possible to decrease the abandonment cart phenomena, how is it possible to keep and converts as many lead as possible?
What other people are doing to decrease this and to generate more conversions from their hard work?
Let’s figure out the cause first as some of the remedy have to do with the way your website, cart and checkout experience is set up.
WHAT CAUSES CART ABANDONMENT ?
The checkout experience need to be the most user friendly, fast and understandable. Need to be easy and somehow interesting.
If you have ever tried to buy something from a website and try to checkout, but being confused from the lay out, complicated questions, too many questions, delays and more, you understand what means to have an easy and fast way to get through the process. At the end even a very determined buyer is going to go an buy somewhere else.
Primary reason for digital shoppers in the United States to abandon their carts
Stats are updated for the last year, soon new are going to come out and the informations can be updated, however those statistics still give a good idea on what causes the cart abandonment and how to solve it.
- Shipping cost too much
- Discount code Doesn’t work
- Order take forever to ship
- Have to re-enter credit card info
- Have to re-enter shipping info.
Thus speed is of the essence.
You can do a quick test of your website as a customer, I do this every once in a while, to spot delay and non optimum situation with your cart and checkout.
Products and service categories most commonly abandoned in their digital shopping carts by internet users in the United States
You may be curios as to what industry has the higher rate of cart abandonment. Here you go:
CART ABANDONMENT SOLUTIONS
What can you do?
If you haven’t implemented a basic cart abandonment campaign, you are losing huge amounts of money.
Cart abandonment campaigns can range from a simple email to the shopper after they end a session with an item in-cart, to a coordinated, cross-channel campaign over an extended period of time.
Another way is pop up window that are doing different task but mainly keeping the customer engaged.
Either way, your goal is to nudge the shopper into buying the products they showed interest in but abandoned.
Regardless of whether or not the campaign is successful, the best marketers know how to leverage what they learn about the shopper’s behavior during an interrupted purchase to better market to them in the future.
NUMBER ONE LEAD GENERATION TOOL AND CART ABANDONMENT SOLUTION FOR 2019
If you haven’t realized yet from the suggested videos, The Number One Recommendations is OptinMonster.
They have the best tools and videos that guide you step by step.
The best lead generation software available for all types of websites. OptinMonster will help you increase your conversions and build your web presence.
Since their launch in 2013, they have been improving conversions for small independent businesses to Fortune 500 companies.
OptinMonster comes with an easy-to-use drag-and-drop popup builder that allows you to create beautiful email optin forms that are proven to convert. You can create various types of campaigns including WordPress popup forms, exit intent popups, floating header and footer bars, slide-ins also known as scroll triggered boxes, sidebar forms, after post forms, in-line forms, mobile popups, welcome gates and more.
Using OptinMonster popups combined with their exit intent technology, page-level targeting, and behavior automation, users have seen an instant boost in conversion rate, even upwards of 785%!
Don’t worry all those terms are defined below.
DRAG-AND-DROP BUILDER + OPTIN FORMS TEMPLATES
If you want something easy and fast this is it.
OptinMonster allows you to build high-converting opt-in forms in minutes, not hours!
You can choose from 5 different type of campaigns including: lightbox popups, fullscreen popups, floating bars, slide-ins, and in-line forms.
Choose a pre-built template designed for maximum conversions, or start from scratch with a blank canvas. Customize all the details
with their easy to use drag-and-drop builder – no code needed.
With OptinMonster’s drag-and-drop builder, you can add any element to your popups including video, social icons, images, buttons, and more.
All of your campaigns will be 100% responsive and mobile friendly.
EASY INTEGRATION WITH ALL EMAIL MARKETING SERVICES
OptinMonster works out of the box with all popular email marketing service providers including but not limited to:
MailChimp, AWeber, Drip, ConvertKit, Infusionsoft, GetResponse, ConstantContact, CampaignMonitor, Hubspot, Marketo, ActiveCampaign, Pardot, TotalSend, Emma, iContact, MailerLite, Customer.io, MailPoet, and FeedBlitz.
You can also use custom HTML forms as well as use shortcodes to add other form plugins such as WPForms, Formidable Forms, etc.
(HTML: HyperText Markup Language (HTML) is a markup language for creating a webpage. Webpages are usually viewed in a web browser. They can include writing, links, pictures, and even sound and video. HTML consists of a series of short codes typed into a text-file by the site author.Example of a simple HTML page. Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) is the most common language used to create documents on the World Wide Web. HTML uses hundreds of different tags to define a layout for web pages.
POWERFUL EXIT INTENT® TECHNOLOGY
What is Exit-Intent Technology?
Exit-intent technology is behavioral technology that tracks and monitors movements of website visitors and detects when they’re going to leave your site without making a purchase or leaving their information. It is designed to reduce cart abandonment and capture more leads.
Did you know that over 70% of people who leave your website will never return?
In most cases, this means that 95% – 98% of your marketing efforts are going to waste, and you are losing more money in customer acquisition cost than you need to.
OptinMonster’s exit-intent technology detects user behavior and prompts them with a targeted campaign at the precise moment they are about to leave.
By using this SMART behavioral technology, you can convert an additional 2 – 4% of your users into email subscribers and soon thereafter into paying customers.
ADVANCED PAGE LEVEL TARGETING AND BEHAVIOR PERSONALIZATION
OptinMonster’s page level targeting module allows you to display unique offers and campaigns based on visitor’s location and interaction on your website.
Did you know that 75% of shoppers are frustrated by sites that don’t cater to their needs? When your website visitors are unhappy, that means fewer conversions, leads and sales.
OptinMonster’s Page-Level Targeting feature solves that problem, by letting you use behavior personalization to create page-specific campaigns that generate more leads, attract more subscribers, and make more sales.
This allows you to segment your email list and group your subscribers based on their interest and interaction with your website.
Segmentation allows you to send relevant emails to your subscribers which results in higher open rates, higher click through rate, increased sales, greater revenue, greater customer retention, and lower unsubscribe rate.
EASY TO USE A/B SPLIT TESTING
A/B testing is one of the most desired features, but normally it is extremely hard to setup for beginners. Well, we changed that and made simple as part of being the best WordPress popup plugin on the market.
OptinMonster’s easy A/B split testing tool helps you eliminate the guess work and make data-driven decisions on what works best.
Best way to understand this is to watch the video.
DETAILED CONVERSION ANALYTICS
OptinMonster’s conversion analytics is easy to understand and give you the stats that matter, so you can take action to improve your lead generation strategy.
OptinMonster’s Conversion Analytics makes it easy to get the stats that matter so you can improve lead generation. It integrates with Google Analytics to allow you to track and measure conversion goals and the success of your optin campaigns.
MONSTERLINKS™ – 2 STEP OPT-IN TECHNOLOGY
MonsterLinks turns any image or link into a 2-step optin campaign, with no coding required. When visitors click on the image or link, there’s a popup asking them to subscribe or buy.
MonsterLinks allow you to easily create a WordPress popup on click, which is proven to boost conversions by as much as 785%. Marketers use it to offer content upgrades and then use OptinMonster’s success redirect feature for lead-magnet delivery.
FULL FEATURES LIST
- High converting template library (100% responsive mobile-friendly), including WordPress popup templates.
- Drag-and-drop campaign builder to easily customize any campaign, no code needed.
- 5 different types of email opt in and popup forms.
- Powerful page level targeting to build a hyper-segmented email list.
- Custom user-centric output settings to target visitors, logged-in users or a mixture of both.
- Category, tag and custom taxonomy output controls for robust campaign segmenting.
- Custom analytics to tell you which campaigns and popups are converting the best.
- Signature Exit Intent™ popup technology to convert abandoning website visitors into subscribers and customers.
- Powerful A/B testing that helps you eliminate guess work and make data driven decisions on what works best.
- MonsterLinks™ popup on click technology which is proven to boost conversions by as much as 785%!
- Mobile specific WordPress popup forms that are specifically targeted towards mobile visitors.
- Scroll triggered WordPress popup and optin forms for enhanced conversion rates.
- Timed popup forms – display opt-ins after a certain time or on second pageview.
- Canvas popup forms – use Canvas to add facebook like box, WooCommerce products, or anything else that you like.
- Exit Intent™ popups – reduce visitor abandonment, grow your email list and more!
- MonsterEffects™ technology for eye-catching popup animations.
- Success messages and redirects
- Easy integration with over 25 different email marketing service providers
MORE CART ABANDONMENT SOLUTIONS
High numbers of pop ups can be annoying so try to use it with some common sense so that your customer doesn’t have to close windows every 30 seconds, otherwise this could be a reason why they are living the site.
OptinMonster is leading in this field. Do you want more alternatives?
Top 10 options for cart abandonment.
CART ABANDONMENT RATE STATISTICS
If you want to know about the pats years check this article, this gives an idea of the evolution year by year.
The author of the article and research went through a lot of work to gather those data and even though are not the current statistics, those can still be of some value to see the trend over time.
41 Cart Abandonment Rate Statistics! Visit this site and give the author some love. They are the Baymard Institute an independent web usability research institute.
Baymard conducts original large-scale research studies on all aspects of the e-commerce user experience – from form fields to the entire mobile experience. The research results are published as articles, reports, and benchmark databases.
Here is displayed their grid:
Abandonment rate statistics:
- 56.82% according toFresh Relevance in2018 (retrieved Mar 28, 2019)
- 75.60% according toSaleCycle in2018 (retrieved Jun 20, 2018)
- 81.40% according toAbandonAid in2017 (retrieved Jun 20, 2018)
- 76.90% according toSaleCycle in2017 (retrieved Jun 20, 2018)
- 78.00% according toListrak in2016 (retrieved Jan 9, 2017)
- 75.50% according toAdobe in2016 (retrieved Jan 9, 2017)
- 68.80% according toBarilliance in2016 (retrieved Jan 9, 2017)
- 74.52% according toSaleCycle in2016 (retrieved Sep 21, 2016)
- 71.39% according toBarilliance in2015 (retrieved Jan 14, 2016)
- 68.95% according toIBM in2015 (retrieved Dec 7, 2015)
- 75.00% according toListrak in2015 (retrieved May 8, 2015)
- 75.60% according toSaleCycle in2015 (retrieved May 8, 2015)
- 68.38% according toIBM in2014 (retrieved Dec 2, 2014)
- 72.00% according toListrak in2014 (retrieved Sep 26, 2014)
- 69.20% according toVibetrace in2013 (retrieved Mar 25, 2014)
- 62.30% according toFireclick in2014 (retrieved Mar 12, 2014)
- 74.00% according toBarilliance in2013 (retrieved Mar 12, 2014)
- 67.41% according toIBM / Coremetrics in2013 (retrieved Dec 6, 2013)
- 78.00% according toAbandonAid in2013 (retrieved Dec 6, 2013)
- 60.32% according toTriggered Messaging in2013 (retrieved Jul 28, 2013)
- 75.00% according toListrak in2013 (retrieved Jul 3, 2013)
- 67.00% according toComscore in2012 (retrieved Jul 3, 2013)
- 74.23% according toSaleCycle in2013 (retrieved Apr 26, 2013)
- 80.30% according toRejoiner in2012 (retrieved Feb 14, 2013)
- 61.85% according toIBM / Coremetrics in2012 (retrieved Dec 20, 2012)
- 74.76% according toFireclick / DigitalRiver in2012 (retrieved Nov 2, 2012)
- 76.00% according toListrak in2012 (retrieved Jul 17, 2012)
- 72.31% according toFireclick / DigitalRiver in2011 (retrieved Feb 25, 2012)
- 62.31% according toIBM / Coremetrics in2011 (retrieved Feb 25, 2012)
- 72.00% according toSeeWhy in2011 (retrieved Feb 25, 2012)
- 71.00% according toSeeWhy in2010 (retrieved Feb 25, 2012)
- 55.00% according toForrester Research in2010 (retrieved Feb 25, 2012)
- 63.68% according toIBM / Coremetrics in2010 (retrieved Feb 25, 2012)
- 69.38% according toFireclick / DigitalRiver in2010 (retrieved Feb 25, 2012)
- 62.14% according toMarketLive in2009 (retrieved Feb 25, 2012)
- 71.00% according toForrester Research in2009 (retrieved Feb 25, 2012)
- 63.19% according toIBM / Coremetrics in2009 (retrieved Feb 25, 2012)
- 68.00% according toSeeWhy in2009 (retrieved Feb 25, 2012)
- 62.01% according toIBM / Coremetrics in2008 (retrieved Feb 25, 2012)
- 61.36% according toIBM / Coremetrics in2007 (retrieved Feb 25, 2012)
- 59.80% according toMarketingSherpa in2006 (retrieved Feb 25, 2012)
Average: 69.57% abandonment rate
Last updated: March 28, 2019 by the Baymard Institute.
Customer Acquisition & Lead Generation Software – Without the High Costs
I gave a look at the prices for OptinMonster. They are very affordable, any serious person who is working to really create a business internet based, can’t really afford to not have Lead Generations tools.
It cost more to not have such a tool then to invest in all the above features, how much it cost to loose 4% more leads? How much it really costs to loose traffic every day? Only you can answer based on your traffic.
One email is said to be worth $40 dollars, it could be more if those are really interested public who are searching for the products you are offering, but they have not decided yet, you can help them decide with a smart use of technology.
OptinMonster prices are really affordable
ABANDONED CART EMAILS
There is one point that has not been discussed and this is the lost cart mails or the cart abandonment recovery email. this is a very important point to know and option to have.
What is the lost cart email:
An abandoned shopping cart email is a mainstay of ecommerce. It is a follow-up email sent to someone who has added items to their cart and gotten through a portion of the checkout and then left the site without purchasing.
Shopify has this options inserted into their website menu. Not many others have. Statistically a lead can be recovered to the degree that the follow up is done very close to the attempted sale. The longer one waits to follow up, more are the chances to loose completely the lead.
A creative Recovery Cart email done in time can salvage and recover the sale.
Without the option of sending an email to recover an abandoned cart, you may loose additional sale,
Let’s say that after all the effort to avoid cart abandonment with the above options, you still have some ( hopefully less ), don’t give up. You can still follow them up.